Sunday, August 21, 2011

Aww Miss... Whatchyu know 'bout dem shoes??

This last week was my first week with students back in school and it was exhausting. I didn't realize how exhausting until I took a 4 hour nap on Saturday, and slept like a baby that night.

The reason why the title of this post is what it is, was from something a student said to me at the beginning of last year. He commented on my sperry's... it was a compliment. This is how the majority of my students speak, and I love it. There's never a dull moment.

Last year teaching was my first year, and it was really tough. I work in a school with kids who have a lot of issues. Poverty issues. Anger issues. Gang issues. Drug issues. You get the idea. It's not your cookie-cutter school with your cookie-cutter students. It's hard. I get a lot of attitude. I get cussed out on occasion. All in a days work.

Teaching Spanish means that I have an array of students. I get all grades, but being the only Spanish 1 teacher in the school, I have a lot of freshman (by the way, our dept. has 3 people in it. 3). The good new is, these freshman are smart. And when I say smart, I mean smart-smart. At my school, usually when you hear smart it's in the context of the being a smart... well you know.

It's hard to judge just by the first week, but I can already tell this year is going to be easier than last, and I think I have a good group of kids. Don't get me wrong, I have my challenge students... but I'm so much more prepared to deal with those kinds of kids than I was last year.

Wish me luck

No comments: